30 December 2008

Prayer for the Riemann Hypothesis

In October 2008, I submitted a prayer at the Prayer Request Site asking for a zero of the zeta function with real part different from 1/2. I gave to whomever fulfills these prayers (let's call it god) a deadline of a month. As the deadline is well over, I can now safely declare that

god told me that there all zeros of the zeta function have real part equal to 1/2; in other words, god told me that the Riemann Hypothesis is true.

An unsolved problem in Mathematics has been solved by the mere intervention of the owner of the Prayer Request Site, i.e. god. Isn't it amazing how prayer works?

Not being ungrateful, I submitted a thank you note at the Prayer Request Site:


PRAISE THE LORD!
Thank you for showing me that the Riemann Hypothesis is true: all zeros of the zeta function have real part equal to 1/2. Can you please help me write a paper now? Or is it sufficient to simply declare that you told me so?

No comments:

Post a Comment




T H E B O T T O M L I N E

What measure theory is about

It's about counting, but when things get too large.
Put otherwise, it's about addition of positive numbers, but when these numbers are far too many.

The principle of dynamic programming

max_{x,y} [f(x) + g(x,y)] = max_x [f(x) + max_y g(x,y)]

The bottom line

Nuestras horas son minutos cuando esperamos saber y siglos cuando sabemos lo que se puede aprender.
(Our hours are minutes when we wait to learn and centuries when we know what is to be learnt.) --António Machado

Αγεωμέτρητος μηδείς εισίτω.
(Those who do not know geometry may not enter.) --Plato

Sapere Aude! Habe Muth, dich deines eigenen Verstandes zu bedienen!
(Dare to know! Have courage to use your own reason!) --Kant